Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   News & Announcements (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Guild Trim (/forums/showthread.php?t=315542)

ryachart 01-23-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 2847051)
Consumer-wise it was a great idea, but I suspect the problem is that every guild needs an almost infinite supply of Clerics, whereas each guild only really needs one Druid, and only at level 60 for PotG. Also, Druids get useful ports earlier than Clerics get 90+% rezzes.

So there are lots of Druid (and Wizards) in Dial that are either below raid level or within raid level, but with no strong motivation to guild up. But any prospective Dial clerics would have to be raid level, and they'd have to choose between phat lewtz (from raids) vs. unknown and (let's be realistic) probably not great rez profits.

But again it was a solid idea and it's too bad it didn't work out..

Fwiw it worked great for me. Anytime I was online I'd get solicited for several rezzes an hour, and I met a lot of people through it. Some occasionally expressed interest, usually followed by "....I'd love to join when my cleric gets their epic!"

It's a great use case for a very small guild.

ryachart 01-23-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tupakk (Post 2847054)
60k for Epic
20k for Gear
Time or 100k for Exp

round it out to 200k for a possible 50p tip from a rez, it just wasnt profitable.

From my experience, virtually anything you can do alone is less profitable than tunnel questing on P99. My cleric's entire kit, including his epic, was paid for by catching a reasonably average number of drops while leveling up and relentlessly tunnel questing.

With that aside, 50p tips for a rez are pretty uncommon. It takes some discretion when you get messages from customers. Level 11s looking for a rez in Kurn's Tower usually have to be declined unless I'm particularly bored.

Often based on the complexity of the corpse run (am I getting the corpse myself or do I need to organize a necro/rogue? Is it in a really remote location, like Plane of Fear? Plane of Fear rezzing is tremendously fun, but I'll definitely be looking for a premium here.), I'm looking for somewhere from 400p - 2kpp for the rez.

It's not uncommon for me to get 4-5 rezzes per hour while online that probably average ~250p per in profits. I'm pretty kind hearted at the end of the day, so I usually still rez the level 11 in Kurns or the level 17 in Najena.

Best case I'd say I could make around ~1kp/hr with pretty low visibility/advertising/server awareness.

loramin 01-23-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tupakk (Post 2847054)
60k for Epic
20k for Gear
Time or 100k for Exp

round it out to 200k for a possible 50p tip from a rez, it just wasnt profitable.

I dunno ... it seems to me a nekid level 49 Cleric could still totally make money doing rezzes. You don't need an epic to cast three rezzes an hour (if that), and the only gear you might need to get to the corpse is an invis ring and a SoW pot or JBoots.

I don't think most Clerics passed on Dial a Rez because they lacked plat/gear, I think they did it to join raiding guilds instead. But that's just my theory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryachart (Post 2847059)
Fwiw it worked great for me. Anytime I was online I'd get solicited for several rezzes an hour, and I met a lot of people through it. Some occasionally expressed interest, usually followed by "....I'd love to join when my cleric gets their epic!"

It's a great use case for a very small guild.

Again, on the consumer/demand side the guild's value is clear, but as you said that wasn't the problem, the problem was finding clerics who wanted to join. I was just offering my guess, which is that that happened because raiding guilds looked more attractive.

ryachart 01-23-2019 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 2847089)
I dunno ... it seems to me a nekid level 49 Cleric could still totally make money doing rezzes. You don't need an epic to cast three rezzes an hour (if that), and the only gear you might need to get to the corpse is an invis ring and a SoW pot or JBoots.

I don't think most Clerics passed on Dial a Rez because they lacked plat/gear, I think they did it to join raiding guilds instead. But that's just my theory.

Again, on the consumer/demand side the guild's value is clear, but as you said that wasn't the problem, the problem was finding clerics who wanted to join. I was just offering my guess, which is that that happened because raiding guilds looked more attractive.

Yeah I mean. I didn't spend any time recruiting. I spend basically all of my time logged into P99 rezzing haha.

I think if I recruited at all (ooc posts or forum posts) I probably would have had more members than just me, but I don't really play enough to justify spending my time recruiting when there are rezzes to be done. I probably would have recruited more if I knew a guild purge based on member count was a thing that might happen.

TripleLegit 01-24-2019 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryachart (Post 2847103)
Yeah I mean. I didn't spend any time recruiting. I spend basically all of my time logged into P99 rezzing haha.

I think if I recruited at all (ooc posts or forum posts) I probably would have had more members than just me, but I don't really play enough to justify spending my time recruiting when there are rezzes to be done. I probably would have recruited more if I knew a guild purge based on member count was a thing that might happen.

Well now is your time to recruit! Just get six dedicated clerics together and remake the guild.

ryachart 01-24-2019 02:57 AM

False Alarm. Guild still exists.

mcoy 01-24-2019 01:16 PM

I'd be there if I wasn't in DoF.

-Mcoy

Dolalin 02-03-2019 04:45 AM

Sounds like the sort of thing a patch might fix...

Ennewi 02-03-2019 11:03 AM

<Size Matters>

dracosophy 02-10-2019 09:33 AM

???

3 pages on dial a rez but no answer to the question of why were small guilds such a drain on resources?

Is it the misuse of a feature to get extra big names?

If we're worried about misuse of names, immersion breaking etc, how about we work on making people more aware that there's actually a naming policy on p99?
Sentences, phrases, popular culture references, names with titles inside them, and general immersion breaking nonsense,
has been the only major issue bothering me about p99 in the last 3-4 years.
It is honestly my biggest problem with this server/game, and has been one of the biggest reasons I take long breaks from p99
(and why I do not feel inclined to donate money).
While I actually hate arbitrary things, I'm an open-minded, liberal, creative-type-person, and most of the time I dislike following strict rules, tradition, boundaries & regulations just because "that's the way it is",
I think an unenforced, or unenforceable rule might be worse, in some cases, than a rule that has a questionable right to exist.
____And lest anyone think I'm an unreasonable stooge with no sense of humor, I absolutely see that some of the names people have are clever and funny,
I just don't want to see them used as a name for a fantasy character, in a high-fantasy setting...
which is exactly what the naming policy (see link below) was designed to do.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17488
_The problem is, you don't even have to have bad behavior to annoy someone in this game, you just have a name you force people to see.
___Theory of policy & philosophy aside, the p99 rules, naming policy included, were designed quite adequately in my opinion (the opinion of a 25 year-veteran of online gaming),
aside from the apparent lack of visibility/enforcement in the naming policy of course.
____Also, just to clarify, I am not worrying about obvious mules and/or EC market characters,
I'm talking about characters that are actually leveled, used, and visible all over.
(though to be fair, I wouldn't mind if the market characters that were there frequently/repeatedly were a bit less immersion-breaking as well, but I realize we can't always have everything we want, so I'm willing to compromise).
____And lest anyone think character names are a small issue, I have a folder full of evidence,
and a general sense that approximately half the active players are violating the naming policy at any given time, which seems, to me, like not such a small issue.
_Every time you see them run by, are targeted for spells, or chat with you....
It's just not realistic to avoid the problem by avoiding the people since there are just too many of them. It seems like every zone has a large percentage now, so where a few years ago I would screenshot the few annoyances,
now half the time I don't even bother trying unless it really stands out as offensive, because if I tried to document all "bad names" I'd be doing it so much I would get myself worked up into a bad mood and have to log out in less than an hour or something.
_Even members of the hardcore RP guild [Auld Lang Syne] violate the naming policy! Rarely, but I have seen it.
_
I volunteer to be name police, and help with the manual re-naming of the worst violators, if it can be done.
Also if something was done about it, well, let's just say I'd be much more inclined to donate to the fund that maintains the running of the servers.
Or would all that just be too difficult, too involved, where-as tossing out small guilds is a one-shot thing that doesn't actually force anyone to lose any time spent beyond gathering 6 people together, so there's no risk of hurt feelings or complications? _Maybe I'm expecting too much;
__to add some new layer to the account-making process that gives people more of a chance to read the server rules,
___or maybe it's unrealistic of me to think that character names might be submitted manually to a large group of peer-reviewer-type moderators, and if any of them have issue with the name it gets held up in discussion and not approved, or something.
_
Just throwing stuff out off the top of my head here, but you get the idea... I'm realistic in that I know it's obviously not an easy problem to fix, or it would have been already, I'm just saying that something, anything, being done more than is now would be preferable to continuing as-is.
I'm also not ungrateful for the server, it's truly one of the best gaming communities I have encountered (probably a side effect of the older age-range than your average gaming community, but who knows),
and I am truly thankful that p99 exists. My deepest thanks to everyone who helps make it possible, and especially thanks to anyone who actually read through my wall of text here. :D