Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Pantheon isn't the savior I don't think (/forums/showthread.php?t=315937)

choppedandglued 01-26-2019 07:04 PM

Pantheon isn't the savior I don't think

So maybe someone can convince me otherwise, but from the streams I haven't seen anything that's similar to EQ 1 besides a few small things. The combat works nothing alike. I watched the stream where they showed off the blood night class or whatever, AKA shadowknight from WOTLK or Bezerker from eq1. The skills felt so clicky like wow. The main thing though is the lore. They haven't talked about this at all. The reason why classic EQ was so good is because the classes were so different. You would be like cool its a ranger, he could do help us do this specifically, and your like hell yah im a ranger. Nowadays it's grab a tank CHECK, get some deeps CHECK, we need A healer CHECK. What about certain races only being able to wear certain items based on the size of the item. How does this game have the layout in front of it, and have not learned anything from the past. Furthermore they have destroyed what has been given to them by neglecting the complexities of the lore and integrating miscellaneous skills from EQ 1. Then they are making people think that it's a reflection on its original creation.

Not only do I have little faith in Pantheon, but I take offense to it.

Also, isn't the lead guy Brain McQuad or whatever inherently a failure by now. I mean he's dropped the ball on like the last 3 projects he was commanding. So he's like 1-3 or something really, on a 3 loss streak? Where does he get savior status from, I'm failing to see that.

Evia 01-26-2019 07:24 PM

While I do agree with you on the skepticism about it being our savior, I do think the game is very much like everquest in spirit. Id maybe watch some more videos? I wish i could recall the specific ones, but the general group exping feels very much the same as older mmos like eq1 and daoc imho.

feniin 01-26-2019 07:25 PM

Doesn't matter, not coming out.

choppedandglued 01-26-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feniin (Post 2848671)
Doesn't matter, not coming out.

They had some "Mystery Funder" that already payed for the whole games development.

choppedandglued 01-26-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evia (Post 2848669)
While I do agree with you on the skepticism about it being our savior, I do think the game is very much like everquest in spirit. Id maybe watch some more videos? I wish i could recall the specific ones, but the general group exping feels very much the same as older mmos like eq1 and daoc imho.

How so? Cuz stuff takes a long time to die. If you gave wow mobs like 5-10x more hps then it would be the same to you?

Jimjam 01-26-2019 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppedandglued (Post 2848679)
They had some "Mystery Funder" that already payed for the whole games development.

Counting eggs before they hatched.

Development costs are only crystallised once development is complete (I.e never). When you have a bottomless bucket of funds this is especially true.

Anyone remember the first warhammer MMO that never came out (the one that got axed way before AoR was ever announced)? The developers just kept taking Games Workshops money, released statements and superficial details but nothing of value; if they released the game the magic money tree would dry up. Eventually GW cottoned on and pulled the plug.

choppedandglued 01-26-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimjam (Post 2848726)
Counting eggs before they hatched.

Development costs are only crystallised once development is complete (I.e never). When you have a bottomless bucket of funds this is especially true.

Anyone remember the first warhammer MMO that never came out (the one that got axed way before AoR was ever announced)? The developers just kept taking Games Workshops money, released statements and superficial details but nothing of value; if they released the game the magic money tree would dry up. Eventually GW cottoned on and pulled the plug.

Well they said they're all paid up to release the game. Why would they say that? Wouldn't it inhibit their ability to get donations?

aaezil 01-26-2019 11:18 PM

In b4 mad posts by various losers who already paid money to pantheon

Swish2 01-27-2019 12:14 AM

What else is there? You'll play, I'll play. It'll be better than Fallout 76 or any of the other MMO filth that's been attempted lately.

choppedandglued 01-27-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swish2 (Post 2848835)
What else is there? You'll play, I'll play. It'll be better than Fallout 76 or any of the other MMO filth that's been attempted lately.

I was just making the point that everybody is thinking they'll get it right because they have the blueprint. However they are just coping some small pieces of the game, and haven't a fraction of the depth.

I hope eventually it doesn't end up like EQ2 with it's constant scaling up of damage. What the hell is so hard about no putting in weapons with 2189-5412 damage, hitting for millions. Seriously how does anybody enjoy seeing those types of numbers roll. It's too much.