Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Alternatives to P99? (/forums/showthread.php?t=415054)

Zalora 02-11-2023 04:11 PM

Alternatives to P99?

To tide myself over before the release of Green 2.0 (if it ever happens), I'm looking for alternative MMOs to play. Are there any other EQ private servers that have similar qualities as P99 (no multiboxing, no increased rates, etc)? Or maybe other oldschool-style MMOs that an EQ player would like (or interesting private servers for them)? Doesn't necessarily have to be popular.

These modern MMOs like WoW and FF14 just aren't doing it for me. :confused:

loramin 02-11-2023 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalora (Post 3572163)
Are there any other EQ private servers that have similar qualities as P99 (no multiboxing, ...

No to that (key) part right there. Every other major EQ server allows multi-boxing, which is probably a huge part of why P99 is so popular in spite of of it's classicness.

If you can stomach triple-boxing being allowed, I've heard TakP is a great server, and it goes up to (I believe) PoP. That may be your best bet.

Lune 02-11-2023 04:46 PM

There is a cottage MMO called Haven and Hearth which, if caught at the release of a new world, is the single purest source of "that original MMO" feeling I've ever been able to replicate in adult life.

It's a soft permadeath full PvP and PvE survival MMO designed by two insufferable Swedish libertarians. You start naked and alone in a very large procedurally generated world (takes over a full IRL day to travel across). You tame the land, domesticate crops and animals, hunt, roam, settle, build a farmstead, a town, or a civilization with other players, or strike it out on your own as a hermit, get involved in global or regional politics, join a player faction, find and trade coveted resources, and try not to get murdered by Russians, Koreans, or bears. The game uses a system of hybrid online/offline progression reminiscent of Eve Online.

It has some rough edges, like EQ, but if you can get into it it can be extremely rewarding. They essentially created the holy grail of sandbox player-run emergent open world PvP that Darkfall attempted so many years ago. Usually well over 1,000 people in a new world, steadily declining to a few hundred over the next year or two until it all gets wiped and starts over again with a new world. I believe they are on their 14th or 15th iteration.

Evia 02-11-2023 04:51 PM

I've been playing Eden which is a Daoc "classic" server. They have some modern things but it's mostly like it was in the early 00s. Just google eden daoc to get started if it sounds interesting to you.

I'm in Albion mostly but every realm is pretty interesting in their own way.

Jobaber 02-11-2023 04:59 PM

Ive been wanting to try eden.

Swish 02-12-2023 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 3572180)
No to that (key) part right there. Every other major EQ server allows multi-boxing, which is probably a huge part of why P99 is so popular in spite of of it's classicness.

If you can stomach triple-boxing being allowed, I've heard TakP is a great server, and it goes up to (I believe) PoP. That may be your best bet.

It does, and it is.

Encroaching Death 02-12-2023 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lune (Post 3572189)
designed by two insufferable Swedish libertarians

Notch?

Encroaching Death 02-12-2023 10:36 AM

There's an emu server for almost every classic MMO imaginable out there.

Eden DAoC just launched recently.

If you like EQ, TAKP seems to be popular.

Ashersons Call server called Levistras.

Even City of Heroes has a couple of servers.

I think the Warhammer MMO server relaunched?

There's a ton out there.

Swish 02-12-2023 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Encroaching Death (Post 3572534)
There's an emu server for almost every classic MMO imaginable out there.

Eden DAoC just launched recently.

If you like EQ, TAKP seems to be popular.

Ashersons Call server called Levistras.

Even City of Heroes has a couple of servers.

I think the Warhammer MMO server relaunched?

There's a ton out there.

It did, definitely has a cult following.

Toxigen 02-13-2023 09:50 AM

Not a MMO but Champions of Norrath for PS2 is a hoot.