Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What is "Poofing" to Sirken? (/forums/showthread.php?t=103781)

Socratic 03-29-2013 06:48 AM

What is "Poofing" to Sirken?

1. Read in the most broad sense "poofing" could refer to logging into the server before your character has been automatically dropped, thus forcing that character out of game. Basically if you have an ip exemption and legitimately LD you would have no way of knowing when you could log back into the server without being potentially banned unless someone in game could tell you once your character had dropped.

2. Read another way "poofing" could specifically refer to logging into the server within a certain amount of time after going LD with aggro to try to drop that aggro (still a somewhat unclear judgment call, how much time? was it intentional?). Perhaps dropping from world within 30s of going LD? I really don't know.

3. Read in the most narrow sense "poofing" could refer to using a second client to instantly leave the game without going LD at all (I think this is what prompted this response in the first place). If read in this way it would allow DA /q to be useable but limit players by requiring DA otherwise you're likely to die trying.

Currently I'm reading this in the most broad sense #1, because I would rather be careful and avoid months of work being crushed by the ban hammer, but I'd love some clarification.

maverixdamighty 03-29-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socratic (Post 904823)
1. Read in the most broad sense "poofing" could refer to logging into the server before your character has been automatically dropped, thus forcing that character out of game. Basically if you have an ip exemption and legitimately LD you would have no way of knowing when you could log back into the server without being potentially banned unless someone in game could tell you once your character had dropped.

2. Read another way "poofing" could specifically refer to logging into the server within a certain amount of time after going LD with aggro to try to drop that aggro (still a somewhat unclear judgment call, how much time? was it intentional?). Perhaps dropping from world within 30s of going LD? I really don't know.

3. Read in the most narrow sense "poofing" could refer to using a second client to instantly leave the game without going LD at all (I think this is what prompted this response in the first place). If read in this way it would allow DA /q to be useable but limit players by requiring DA otherwise you're likely to die trying.

Currently I'm reading this in the most broad sense #1, because I would rather be careful and avoid months of work being crushed by the ban hammer, but I'd love some clarification.

go read the "damn son" post in the rants section. has videos of what "poofing" means.

Socratic 03-29-2013 06:55 AM

Yea I'm hoping for some clarification beyond the troll cave, but this means you read "poofing" as #3 then?

maverixdamighty 03-29-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socratic (Post 904827)
Yea I'm hoping for some clarification beyond the troll cave, but this means you read "poofing" as #3 then?

Yes. Using it to ignore game mechanics where if you are LD in game with agro you stay in game until that agro drops.

Socratic 03-29-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverixdamighty (Post 904828)
Yes. Using it to ignore game mechanics where if you are LD in game with agro you stay in game until that agro drops.

That's not true though. I've seen people without IP exemptions battle light blues for a few minutes until their character dropped from world. They never lost aggro.

But now your statement seems to indicate you think it's #1... I'm confused.

falkun 03-29-2013 07:03 AM

If you go LD while having aggro and you are not DA, your character will stay in the game world for a while. This is classic. Don't utilize any method that could circumvent this classic mechanic.

Rhambuk 03-29-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socratic (Post 904830)
That's not true though. I've seen people without IP exemptions battle light blues for a few minutes until their character dropped from world. They never lost aggro.

There is a way, im not sure how nor would I post it if I did, to force poof yourself from game. Lots of people to do it to save from death or use it to splitpull.

Anyway its been an issue because people /q and survive a train or something when they should die. Nice to see some action over it, go get em sirken

maverixdamighty 03-29-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socratic (Post 904830)

i think it's a combination between 1 and 3.

Sirken 03-29-2013 07:21 AM

https://www.project1999.org/forums/s...d.php?t=103772

Socratic 03-29-2013 07:27 AM

So #3? That link doesn't clarify anything.