View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your problem is you think about all the negatives that a class brings instead of thinking of the good things. Your basically talked down every class in the game in 1 way or another why would i not say that EQ doesnt sound like a game you would enjoy if you thought of each class exactly how you wrote it out. No class is perfect all classes have a downside you just have to choose which perks you actually like about the class and live with the negatives. I played a halfling ranger on live from 2003 to 2012 dont have to tell me about people giving you shit or having downsides of a toon. Also my main here is a 50 ranger.
I started my ranger in 1999 and eventually reached level 80 with over a thousand AAs before I quit, so I have some insight into how the class has evolved, what the downsides were, and where things got balanced out. You don't need to defend rangers to me, they're my favorite class. Rangers and Warriors both got shafted when the game came out because, at the time, the concept of MMO class dynamics were still unknown.

For Warriors, the Taunt skill really doesn't work like it should, and it wasn't until weapons like the Blade of Carnage and the Berate/Incite/etc. skill line that Warriors became viable threat generators. Paladins and SKs can generate instant agro, while warriors need time to build agro. That would be fine if warriors brought something to the table to offset that, like a ton more HP or significantly higher damage mitigation, but they don't.

For Rangers, they couldn't adequately fulfill any of the group roles sufficiently enough most of the time. They were good DPS, but still not as good as warriors, monks, or rogues. They could snare, but then so could druids, and the latter could also work as a backup healer. It wasn't until things like double archery damage, autofire (to prevent DPS clipping), and ranger-specific buffs were brought into the game that rangers really found a valuable role in groups. Up until Luclin and beyond, a Ranger was basically the person you grabbed if you had a spare slot and nobody else was available.

Maybe you missed it, but the entire point of giving my take on the classes was so that someone could step in and say "Hold on! You're wrong, this is why <insert class here> is actually really fun!"

The response to my interpretation of how classes work should be "here's where you're wrong", not "If you don't like it, go play something else."