View Single Post
Old 06-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seb was hard at 60.
What kind of situation were you in doing seb at 60 15ish years ago, Haynar?

I'm trying to get at my (usual) argument that ALL of EQ was relatively more challenging for almost everyone (if not everyone everyone) back in the day than it is for the same players now. Even if you guys perfectly recreated resists and aggro ranges and AC mechanics and every other mechanic of the game, we still have people playing with fancy UIs and GTT and a decade+ of knowledge (and training, if you will) regarding how to get stuff done in EQ and the "every rogue an epic rogue" movement and such nowadays and stable, high-speed internet connections and etc etc etc.

How many people back in the day used clickies to refresh gems, out of all the players playing at the end of Kunark? How many people had the time to spend to learn how to solo or duo or trio most of the content in the game instead of just rolling in with a full group ... or joining a group that was already there since everything was always camped on those 3k primetime servers? How many rogues thought they were building a ninjatank who would avoid tons of attacks because they put 25 in agility at creation? OF COURSE seb was hard back then.

Even on p99 today, you'll see a solo enchanter die at NG, or entire groups trying to CR themselves after they somehow wiped back at chef. And the biggest zergs a p99 guild can throw down into myconid tunnels or tola/prot area can still get into trouble pretty easily.

I'm not trying to say that everything was correct before, just like Nirgon isn't trying to effect change based just on a couple memories. Just seems like tuning difficulty ... well I guess it's just another classic mechanics vs. classic experience thing. If you want to get closer to a classic experience then you will need to make resist rates and NPC damage and shit harsher than they were on live to make up for the perks players have fighting the environment today. Or if you want closer to classic mechanics, you need to be ok with players doing stuff day-in day-out on p99 that was basically unheard of on live. /shrug
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 06-27-2014 at 03:48 PM..