View Single Post
Old 04-11-2015, 04:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Getting into Vex Thal meant something, man. We called it "candyland." On hindsight, it foretold of the loot inflation to come in PoP, but at the time, it was pretty mighty.
I'd give a lot to be able to raid Vex Thal. I started to play in Luclin but only started raiding during PoP, so we didn't do VT anymore. I'm not a lore guy at all, but Luclin lore fascinates me, i love the whole Akhevan story line. Mobs having names that are literally in akhevan is one of the coolest things i've ever seen in a game. They invented a language for a computer game, how can you not like it?!

http://www.temerityguild.org/forums/...hevan-language

When you realize "a Qua Liako Xakra" is actually "a Minor Knight Spirit".. Literally the spirit of a fallen knight that was low-ranked, and that every mob name means something, that you learn a culture and a lore invented for a computer game, it starts to get pretty immersive. At least for me, 'cause me and languages, that's a thing.

As for the loot inflation, that's an inevitable consequence of progression. You need the gear from the previous expansion to beat the current expansion and the gear from the current expansion trivializes the previous expansions. It is also needed for the next expansion. And so on.

The thing is, there is a point when the gear (spells and skills and AAs too) becomes ridiculous. This is why i think Luclin/PoP was the peak of the game. Nice focii and FT for casters. Stats and weapon ratios that "made sense". Interesting clickies and procs but nothing over the top while the content was still challenging. You couldn't gear up in a groupable instance that gave gear 90% as good as raiding gear. Nobody ever soloed Aten Ha Ra in PoTime gear, so it's not like it made everyone completely overpowered.

Thus why my argument that Luclin/PoP are classic. It's the same game, you need tanks and clerics and CC, you need to get to camps in static zones. If you want the best gear, you have to compete for it. It's just better with more content available, additional spells/skills/AAs that were missing and oh shit i'm rambling again.
Last edited by Erydan Ouragan; 04-11-2015 at 04:10 PM..