View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AenorVZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's one of my issues with the series. In his zeal to break the good guys always win trope, GRRM made the Starks too stupid to be believable.
Ned was an honorable soldier. I agree that Ned and Cat symbolize the idyllic world (simplified Tolkien-esque) that Martin wanted to kill, but Ned didn't have enough time to learn how to maneuver in KL. I mean honestly, who wouldn't lose a game of 4D chess to Baelish? Ned fucked up when he didn't listen to Renly, but Sansa ultimately fucked him by talking to Cersei. Ned's soldier's honor got him, but he'll always be my favorite (<3 Sean Bean). Plus, I don't think he ever understood what colossal pieces of shit he was dealing with. I don't think that's bad writing on martin's end.

The best part about the Stark family is that Arya is the most ruthless character in the books and she's gonna fuck some people up. Where the fuck are the winds of winter

I'm gonna start my 4th reread here soon. Even talking about this I love hating Jaime in book 1 and then being like wow this guy isn't such a dick after all. That said, I'm assuming you've read the books more than once and yeah, on a re-read the stupidity of the Starks is painful. Honestly though, Jon's decision making is the dumbest IMO. Run the watch like a dictator and force people to kill you because they believe you're destroying their life's work without even taking the time to explain it to them. Great job Jon!