View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 02:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Definitely the core EQ experience! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My main is an enchanter - LVL 12 and I've been stuck there for 4 days. CB is hard to get groups (so busy) and soloing there with whatever yard trash is available (light greens) doesn't move the needle.

Went to unrest, and no groups there for low teens (even with 40 people in zone) so I went to Steamfont to solo Minos and charm rarely lasts long enough to justify the mana cost. I keep dying now, further compounding the frustration. Made it back to windmills with 3% health and 1% mana and Halv wouldn't attack the rogue clockwork on my tail. Is he on the take? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Can't afford gear - heck, can't even afford my spells! Found some nice people to guild with so chatting is fun, but playing the game is quickly not becoming fun.

You can tell the server is dominated by alts and twins from the longtime players based on the low level charts fully decked out and there is an equal dose of envy and jealousy there too. You think "someday I can get there, when my chanter is high enough to farm for gear for alts" but then you read all of the spawns are always taken.

Definitely the core EQ experience [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

(I know it sounds negative, put a smattering of smiley faces throughout as I get it - I beta'd and played EQ core for many years at launch. Just sharing the new player frustration to vent and take a deep breath...)
Don't group; all groups except the best groups that have an entire zone to themselves are pretty shit experience. If you really don't like solo, just duo-trio with some combination of cleric, shaman, druid, necro, mage, enchanter, wizard.

Charm is a pain at low levels but is definitely worth it when you are fighting JUST the right enemies (it's a small sweet spot - too high level (even when still a blue con) and charm breaks too much, too low level and they're green cons).

Don't try to buy all your spells; 2/3 of them are pretty pointless.

But yeah otherwise you're pretty close to classic EQ imo, lol. There weren't as many twinks on live, but lately p99 is nearly as crowded as in-era servers were, and we certainly have the quirky mechanics and stuff you'd see back in the day too.