View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 04:49 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee12874 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Okay, so getting back to my comment, I have a completely different reason for not wanting the two servers to merge. Unfortunately I'm not sure I can articulate it very well, but it just feels wrong to me to merge two separate populations. P99 is very much a community-oriented game, and having a bunch of characters merged in from another community all at once feels wrong... dang, I wish I was better at explaining things. It just feels like a community of people playing together should all have been on the same server the entire time for continuity.
You explained it fine and it makes sense. Having your server community assimilated into another is usually not fun in my experiences.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though until you see an admin say green is going to get rolled into blue. Until then, it's just a bunch of players engaging in speculation. If you think about it, there are a lot of issues with merging servers that they would have to address. A couple I can think of immediately:
  • Duplicate names which are 100% certain to occur
  • People not having enough empty character slots to accommodate a merge

With the first one, it won't always be the same person having the name on both servers. Someone will lose their name and they are going to be hacked off about it. It is a certainty.

With the second one, since we can only have one account for p99, you can't just make a 2nd one to play on green which means if you have 4 characters on green, you would need 4 empty slots on blue to be able to move them. I don't know about you, but I have zero empty slots on blue and I really don't want to delete any of my characters, much less several of them.

Finally there is the technical issues associated with merging the two servers. I'm sure there is no magic "merge servers" button they can push to do it and I doubt it's just a simple matter of copy/pasting database entries. I'm not a programmer but I know there is some work involved in doing that. I'm sure these admins could do it but I question whether they would want to.