View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Few comments about getting steak to room temp... there's some mixed urban legends in there.

Leaving a steak out for 30 min to an hour will not raise it to room temp, it will take much longer than that for a steak cut of a normal thickness (1 inch or more). However, leaving the steak out dries it out more than going fridge to pan. So it's possible for there to be a noticeable difference in steaks left out to "room temp", but it's because there is less moisture, not because you started cooking it at 72F instead of 40F. This assumes your steak is exposed to air and not still sitting in plastic on the counter.

Less moisture = more even cook and more maillard reaction on the outside. Starting temp is a red herring.
So you just leave it open to the air in the fridge. I am guilty of leaving steaks out for 30 minutes before cooking. My steaks area great so if I can be improving this by cutting that step out I'd like to hear more.

My question though revolves around the way that steak "warms" to room temp. It will warm to room temp the way it cooks in say an oven, outside warms first and core last. So isn't the steak going to be more warm than if it comes from fridge to pan?