View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 09:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eh bit debatable here. Iksar necromancers do have a blatant advantage over other the other necro races, to the point where it kind of ruins the class for me because I feel like I would have to be an iksar. As cool as I think dark elf necromancers are, and I do know that one can succeed just fine as a dark elf or a human if they wanted, it's hard to ignore the advantage an iksar has, even moreso when you've got folks telling you all the time "why aren't you iksar?" or "quick go reroll iksar!". Yes that has happened to me before.
I have to agree with this. The variety of classic EQ makes it awesome, not the unbalanced parts. True, having variety often leads to imbalance, but it's one thing to say "class X can do five things well, and class Y can only do two", and another to say "race X is just 100% superior in every way to race Y" (which wasn't a gameplay design choice, it was a "let's make more money" choice: it happened because Verant wanted everyone to buy the Kunark expansion, so they made the race you got in it better).

Iksar aren't exactly 100% superior (they do have poor faction and an XP penalty), but as tadkins said it's almost wrong to not pick them for your Necro, and I think that makes the game worse, not better. However, I'm still holding out hope that the P99 devs will someday introduce some really awesome non-Iksar Necro items (maybe even one with regen!) in custom content on Blue.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.