View Single Post
Old 01-06-2022, 09:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let me clarify what I meant in my two previous posts. I was making assumptions of prior knowledge, and I shouldn't have.

Here is a quick guide to casual raiding, where you do NOT need to wait 16 hours in a row, OR worry about batphones.

1. Join a guild that actively raids and keeps track of timers. If you are in a very casual guild that does neither, it honestly won't matter what the raid windows look like, because you guild doesn't really raid.

2. Spend 1 minute a day looking at the timers to determine if a mob you want to kill is in window when you get home from work.

3. If there is a mob in window during your play hours, go to work and come back home per usual. Check the timers again when you are ready to login. If the mob's timer hasn't finished yet, you are probably in luck!

4. Log in and ask the guild if the mob has spawned yet. If it hasn't, sock the mob for howerver long you can, lets say 3 hours from 6pm to 9pm.

5. On a 16 hour window, even a 3 hour sock gives you a 20% chance of seeing the mob spawn while you are online. If you can do these steps for 5 weeks in a row, statistically speaking you should be around for at least one of the spawns.

6. This strategy only needs you to spend 3 hours a week during a time of year where the spawn windoe aligns with your schedule. This is very casual, and should be doable by most players.

I have seen mobs spawn at all points in the window, including 2 minutes from closing. You will get a spawn eventually if you follow the advise above, you just need to be patient.

I get the essence of what you are saying, but your math is off and thereby your point is moot. If a person dedicates 3 hours every spawn, thats a 13/16 chance of failure to the 5th power (5 spawns/weeks)

So there is a ~65% chance that I will be on during a spawn given 5 attempts. Thats not horribly bad, but you also have to consider that my guild has to be ready and able to down said Dragon. Given the competition, that probably reduces my chance to a 4th of its original.

So we are talking about a 65%/4 = ~16% chance of winning said dragon over 5 weeks. Thats pretty shitty odds given the time commitment.

What is P99 doing to improve the game for casual players? It seems like all that has been done is make the raiding scene more difficult, therefore increasing the barrier of entry for the typical casual. You mean to tell me they are willing to root dragons because that goes against how the game was originally meant to played, but they are unwilling to reduce the spawn time on dragons even though there are 30X the amount of high level players on the server?