Thread: Diablo 4 Pals
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2023, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Slowing everything down may be a bad thing when you look at their motivation-- monetization.

S1 is dropping in days. They want to sell battlepasses. They've just gutted basically every character; all the optimized gear, specs, paragons, and aspects people built for both popular and unpopular, strong and weak specs alike. They want to sell tier skips. They've just slowed the game down massively and enhanced the grind. Those few, or perhaps many, who planned to stay on eternal now decide whether to rebuild their broken chars or just play S1.

This is design by monetization. The nerds in their c-suite have crunched some model that ordains some target speed with which they want players to progress through the game to optimize microtransactions. It's clear that's what this patch is, because there is little to no care for actual class balance; sorcs still garbage, underperforming abilities still underperform across the board, Helltides nerfed to oblivion, etc. Rather, anything that cleared content too quickly was dismantled. This was meta-design packaged as class balance.

If this were design by fun, underperforming classes, builds, and abilities would have been brought up to being competitive and only the most broken and egregious builds or abilities nerfed. Your character would still basically be intact, but it may no longer be optimal. If they felt the game was trivial at this point, they could have increased mob strength. I think people got through their content offerings too quickly, and this is somewhat an attempt to stretch the content. Should have been done before release, though, before people got a taste for it.

That being said, if I'm still having fun, I'll still play. Been moving the last couple weeks and haven't been able to play.
Agree with pretty much the whole bit. Sorc needed buffs so badly and didn't get anything...so strange.

Amen to still having fun, as am I. I'm not doing any microtransactions (I paid $70 for a game they aren't getting another dime) as I'm in no rush and don't care to be at the front of the herd. If anything it makes it more enjoyable for me to see how things play out and be able to decide on a build in due time and not waste a bunch of time/resources making "mistakes."

Add us to friends if ya want, Lune. Are you on PS5 or PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.