Thread: Quillmane spawn
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2023, 08:03 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You would have to ask the dev team where they got their data for the version we use to have. There was a very informative youtube interview with the OG eq live dev that designed quill originally. He specifically states in the interview that a lot of things back then were never intended to be as rare as they were, quill being one of them.
We’re they not intended because of broken mechanics or was it done purposefully to boost subs? Again I believe that many things in this game are intentionally rare because they wanted to ensure people stay subbed. Regardless of how the devs wanted it to be, the higher ups I am sure had a say and I am sure the penny pinchers were telling devs to do things to ensure people stayed interested and engaged for as long as possible.

EQ is literally the carrot and the stick.

My point being is that lots of people got the cloak easily due to the prior mechanics. I remember doing it on my other character and got a cloak in like an hour for 6 people. I would have been fine with changing the mechanics on a new server, but someone decided to say oh this is wrong it works this way and the devs just changed it.