View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What you are saying is the exact definition of a Ranger, being said Jack-of-all-trades.

All the utility a Ranger can do, other classes can do better.
All of the dps a Ranger can do, other classes can do better.
All the tanking a Ranger can do, other classes can do better.

We far from 'suck', but you can't deny we are a hybrid, and being as such, have an exp penalty. For the exact reasons you stated, that may be why exp penalties were eventually removed on Live (that and it just got stupid to have them after a while), but this server isn't implementing changes based on reasoning, it's emulating classic EQ.

I wouldn't say we're shunned really; 90% of the bad things said about our class are in jest, and like the server, are mere emulations of the past where Rangers were the whipping boy class and the butt of every joke. Do what you do; haters gonna hate. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Then you missed my subtle, but frequent points. I don't speak in absolutes. Things aren't either/or. Some of what you say is true. Some of what I say is true. Don't think in black/white or on/off terms.

I'm not saying they're not hybrids. I know they're not as good dps as a rogue or wizard or monk or whatever. I know they're not as good a caster as a druid. I know all of that and admit it so you can put it to rest.

It's like good and evil. There's a range of good and evil in each person. To say someone is evil means they're mostly evil, but there's still some good in them. It's worthwhile to be accurate about this.

Most importantly, an exp penalty doesn't make sense if being a hybrid is the reason. When I play any game out there and distribute my points evenly, that's within the rules and no exp penalty is needed. Now if you mean hybrid as being "in addition to" then you're right that a exp penalty is necessary. However, that would mean they're overpowered and thus you'd be openly admitting to agreeing with me.

Rangers did not like being shunned in groups. And this probably happened during beta too (hint). I would not be surprised if Verant gave them a few extra bonuses in groups just to keep them quiet. Like dps or higher defensives. But this made Verant feel that rangers were overpowered. How can they be more sought after in groups and yet still be good at soloing while there're all these other classes that're not as good at soloing but sought after in groups? They did not like being put into this position where they felt they had to fudge numbers. Eventually they tried to create an environment where everybody can solo and group on a roughly equal level, while attempting to maintain the feel of each class. But if everybody can solo and group on a roughly equal level then there's no true jack-of-all-trades going on. It was just the way they dealt with this old horse. I can't blame them because they didn't want customer complaints like they got in the past (think: $$$$$).

Jack-of-all-trades is a choice. It's about using limited points and distributing them roughly equally. It's about accepting the consequences of your choices. Consequences are sometimes mean: "Where's my group?"

What I'm telling you is that rangers would have been even worse in groups or soloing if Verant hadn't fudged the numbers. It was this fudging that caused them to change hte course of things to prevent further fudging. Fudging is just another word for throwing out the rulebook. It means faking something to placate.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 02-23-2012 at 03:19 PM..