Thread: Roleplay guild
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Aviak

((
My overall point with the guildchat example is that speaking plainly isn't necessarily out of character. I was mostly addressing Ephirith's concern:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephirith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One problem is people's styles of roleplaying can differ dramatically. Me, for instance... I write stories occasionally on the forums but I very rarely ever roleplay in-game. It's also questionable to enforce a certain style of speech: why would someone call Kuriak m'lord when for the bulk of his career he was a wretched squire, pawn, knave, and a member of a lower order of iksar. Frankly, speaking in Ye Olde Englishe isn't relevant to my perception of most of EQ lore.
Things like "I'm busy hunting bears," "Anyone selling a decent 1-hander for paladins," or "How was the raid," can all be considered in-character, in my opinion. They're more or less in keeping with something you might expect a NPC to say. It's not like you have to actively change the way you speak just to remain in character. Simply avoid things that are obviously immersion-breaking.

In my experience in a guild that had a similar policy, it was enough to deter most unnecessary garbage. Avoiding talk of politics, TV, dewdspeak, or other trash is a big reason why some might feel the draw to a roleplay guild. Necessitating the use of OOC indicators for immersion-breaking chat makes it possible to discuss OOC things like game mechanics if necessary, but usually prevents it from getting out of control.

One can allow oneself to be immersed in the world without putting on a performance. Of course, colorful language and large imaginations can be strongly encouraged, even if they're not mandated.
))

Yes, of course you're VERY smart, Aegnarion, Wielder of Soulfire. <nods sagely>
Last edited by Vellatri; 10-30-2012 at 03:16 PM..