View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocte [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My view doesn't have anything to do with my friends/enemies. On Live, if you were a cheating hack and got banned, you had to buy another account key and set up a new Station ID. There was a real-world penalty to running ShowEQ or exploting bugs, etc.

For EQEmu servers, I feel that the ability to obtain a fresh account (possibly with ill-gotten plat) to continue being a fuckup on a high level character should be stopped.
Essentially, the penalty for cheating is the loss of time it took to level that character (that cannot be reclaimed by buying a new character). If no one can escape a bad reputation by buying one, then it stands to reason that most high level characters are fair players (note: not necessarily "nice people," but fair players).
Ok, finally a decent argument in favor of this. Banning account sales will probably make it less likely that we see cheaters succeed in the game because it will be harder for them to get back into the swing of things when their 60 gets banned. That makes sense.