Thread: Game Mechanics: Un-nerf caster 40 damage cap!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 05:07 PM
Planar Protector

I looking at it more... and here is the snip from the code used in p99....

if (level >= 125) {
cap = 7 * level;
} else if (level >= 110) {
cap = 6 * level;
} else if (level >= 90) {
cap = 5 * level;
} else if (level >= 70) {
cap = 4 * level;
} else if (level >= 40) {

So..... this was a period when the level cap was more than 125!!!! This is stuff from like 2018 or 2019!

Of course they will have aggressive lower level damage caps, they have things like 500+ damage weapons on live.

Here, a quick look at Ala found this https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/...ml?item=108883

A TRADEABLE 221 damage staff :|

Yup yup, at this point it seems clear that this 40 damage cap stuff was way way way later in EQ. Like I said, there are only 4 items that a caster can use in classic that go over this amount (for a specialized build), 3 of 4 of those come from SUPER high end stuff and are no drop... and you aren't going there unless you are 60.

That leaves ONLY the rod of annihilation as a potential 40+ damage weapon for lower levels.

And , really, ok, leave in some damage cap. I understand not wanting level 1 casters going around with rods of annihilation and it being a super twink item.

So lift the damage at level 50 at least.... sure that isn't totally classic, but it's still a good compromise so we can enjoy these fine weapons!