View Single Post
Old 11-12-2021, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah from space it would be a heck of a fireworks show, the dark and gritty part would be for us schmucks on the ground.

Thing is tho that there is no known military strategy for a nuclear success. Every single model results in mutual destruction, this is why nukes have prevented any real world war since their invention.

Anyone smart enough to build a nuke knows that should they use it, less than 30 minutes later other nukes will hit every major city within their country. First strike capabilities are moot, retaliatory capabilities are moot.

The hardened underground cities built by the elites of the world are a joke against anything over like 30 megatons.

should a superpower hypothetically execute a paralyzing nuclear first strike, it would require 500+ weapons to detonate simultaneously, for reasons like all U.S. land based missle silos are 5-25+ Km apart, and there are reported to be 300ish across just the continental US, hitting all, or enough of them would irradiate the atmosphere to such a degree that within days, the fallout from your own bombs is blowing back in your face.

then you can't forget the silent service (ohio class subs) each with 8 trident missles that have 5 warheads each.

And whatever other deployment systems that there may be.

It's rather reassuring to me, that while nuclear weapons beget their own necessity, no major state actor will use them because by one means or another, destroying your enemy with your nuclear capability guarantees your own destruction.
Guess what I think?

I think that what you talk about is so common thought, that if someone was crazy enough to use nukes there would be no retaliation at all.

The advantage of nuclear power is only to the side willing to use it first, the other side will take the high road to try to win hearts and minds and it may or may not cost them the war.

I say do it and find out who cares.