View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 10:07 AM
Orc

I would agree that EQ is a great escape, and it's always a tricky balance between the escape improving your life or making it harder by encouraging you to disregard RL responsibilities, etc.

I know I started playing EQ back in '99 as an escape (my parents went through a super rough divorce, I sort of hated everyone in highschool, etc.), but I was lucky enough never to have suffered from any mental illness or depression. I was happying playing EQ for every spare minute from 9th grade until 2nd year of undergrad. When I finally found a social group I mostly gave up EQ.

I now have a completely different life living abroad as a postdoc and married, so it's really hard to find any time to play at all. Last year I had the itch and started playing, but the time not spent on RL responsibilities made me quit. It ended up causing more stress than enjoyment because every deadline became tighter and harder to make. I think this ties in with how p99 differs from live back in '99. We were all teenagers and now we're all in our mid 30s, and the stresses of adult life are very different.

OP, good luck with everything and thanks for the post. I think, overall, p99 is a great community and we all have a lot in common.