View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 04:22 PM
Orc

The way most "clicky" ads work is that the person who owns the site makes something like $0.02 per ad click from their site(or in some cases they only generate revenue if someone clicks the ad then buys something from the site they went to) not just by existing.(Or at least this was my experience when I still paid the yearly fee to have my domain name registered. Additionally, if we want to get technical about it P99 doesn't own any of the IP that is involved in their server either, SoE/Daybreak Games owns the IP and they have donation options so they are making money off of something THEY don't own either. I ran a business for several years and there was 0 profit from ads. The web host I used required ads to be on the page and the "revenue" gernerated by those ads(even though I specifically chose to have my ad space populated with ads relevant to the business I was running" were not even enough yearly to cover 2% of the hosting cost of the website. Just because ads are on a page DOES NOT mean that the person running that page is making any money on it. THAT is how ads work. The person who made this logger for us to use is, if anything, losing money from paying a yearly fee to the domain host, if he/she is doing their own hosting then they may be making $0.10 a year off of the ads(Which have the option to hide them so you don't see any of them)
Last edited by Zenshu; 01-13-2016 at 04:24 PM..