View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 12:46 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Superstitious lines of text read better coming from an NPC in Norrath rather than an individual on Earth. The stigma addicts have faced is part of a larger education problem. Who cares about PR other than big corporations, politicians, and social media influencers preoccupied with image and polls? Looking back, it's reasonable to say that McQuaid earned his name in the industry almost in spite of public relations, which underscores the quality of his work and the games he worked on. A supposed overdose is only fodder for the usual trolls who seek relevance through outrage and are content with gaining it anonymously online. Still, even that is a game of sorts. Brad himself had said that indifference was worse than any negative feedback or trolling. But if anything, the gaming community ought to be the first to empathize or at least relate, considering the number of addicts within it, some recovering and others on-again, off-again. This is of course assuming your assumption is right, which is not much different from the blind leading the blind.
There's no superstition around the fact that Brad had a drug addiction in his past and relapse is highly potential among hardcore users. PR is important if you have investors/customers that have had continued interest into your project especially when the main lead head falls over and dies unexpectedly. Let me ask you this; what did Brad die from? Why has the company withheld this information? I seen game devs pass away from all corners of the industry, when they do, usually their closest friends or the company they work for tells the press and community on what happened. Take a look at the passing of Matt McDonald. DBG wasn't shy of mentioning he committed suicide as the cause of his death. For Brad, the only notion we got was that he just 'died' which will immediately make people speculate considering his past endeavors. I'm not trying be negative towards Brad like he's some type of bad person for being addicted to drugs, but rather just facing the reality that this is the most likely scenario on how he went out.