Thread: Dear Devs
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2021, 10:19 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccs88 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don’t think people asking that question 3-4 years ago on a completely different website is relevant, no.

At this point, P99 devs have finished Kunark and Velious, and recoded the Titanium files to perform as close to classic as possible. 3 fluid servers. It crossed my mind that now would be a good time to ask this question, whereas previously, people were asking the devs to share an incomplete thing.

Not suggesting an ulterior motive. Just pointing out that there is no benefit to keeping lock and key on something you don’t profit from or benefit from in any way. People who are already established as part of the P99 community are likely not interested in this idea, and I doubt population would suffer much, if at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccs88 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stop with the doom & gloom. Players that enjoy p99 would stay on p99. If p99 clones were run by idiots, then people would return to p99. Your contradictory logic makes zero sense. It’s a decade+ established community, here. There wouldn’t be anything close to a rival to p99, and nobody has that intent in the first place if you actually read our reasoning.

First off, I do not feel entitled. You assume entirely too much. I said multiple times I’m just curious. Secondly, the devs here have sourced us players for a decade+ in order to get the programming down pat. It’s not that farfetched to ask if we’ll ever have access to use the DB we helped build.

I’ve been a programmer for 25 years. It has never been hard to start one’s own server. You know exactly why we want p99’s DB. It’s true to classic. You also know it would be pretty impossible to replicate as a solo project, as this is a decade+ community project.

Again, you contradict yourself saying it would be a disaster if people didn’t know what they were doing, but also “it’s never been easier.” Right then — you’ve made your obligatory contrarian/condescending comment, I hope you got your jollies. Please move along.
I've taken the liberty of bolding the parts of your post(s) that make you look like a complete idiot to anyone who actually knows their way around EQEmu development or really just the EverQuest client in general.

Let me get this straight.. You've been a "programmer" for 25 years but you think p99 devs are out here "recoding Titanium's files"? Yikes. You come across as extremely entitled when you say stuff like "they've sourced us players for a decade to get their programming down pat". I think you meant they've sourced players for 10 years to get the database down pat? Just because players have voluntarily given up information doesn't mean they owe you anything in the end. You act like it was the players that actually did the work required to turn that information into a reality on their DB/source.

You also grossly mischaracterized what I said. I said it's never been easier to start your own project. Never said it was easier than ever to replicate P99.

Good luck with getting anything from anyone though. Might wanna start "recoding those Titanium files" yourself. Should be easy for someone with your wealth of knowledge/experience.