View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 10:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why does anyone give a shit about sports?
Because it's a distraction from real life.

Based on Greek Olympics used to distract the populous from problems in gov/society.
And they employ a large minority racial group to entertain the elite.

Chew on that for a while.
I think that take is a little cynical. What is the difference between a distraction and a unifying force? The former view is that of someone who feels like they need to escape, that society is bad and it's grinding them down and the government is on their back, and the latter is because they just want to come together with others in a shared activity. So I think that would be a matter of personal outlook.

As for the racial makeup, you're not implying the Denver Broncos hire a ton of black players for the sole reason of providing an "exotic other" for the viewers?

I understand the Bread & Circuses thing, having accessed the historical records. Modern sports are not that. They're not being run by nations. They're businesses trying to make a buck under the banner of unification. I mean yeah distraction too, whatever brings you in with your wallet, but they promote the happier, more uplifting aspect. And really, no one I know says let's go to the game I want to forget my shitty life, it's always it's going to be great we're going to eat and drink and see everyone.

Oh yeah, what was my point? If your business depends on unification, it's really really bad to let your employees be the distraction.