Thread: End Times
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2021, 12:28 AM
Planar Protector

You know what's crazy, the first "science fiction" story is supposed to be Frankenstein 1818.

I mean, some might argue the book of Enoc is the first science fiction from -8000 but the first "science fiction" story is 1818.

Which is just cool because that's about when science became a thing I guess.

But it's amazing, I wonder what like what was the SPARK that created all that science progress?

Like what was the first "science" moment? that lead to the first, science fiction, which led to the industrial revolution, and the information age etc.

12,000 years ago we invent surveying and nothing until 200 years ago where we suddenly progressed exponentially.

Like it's not like taking good notes was alien to us up until the 17th century, we have like specific directions from 12,000 years ago about how to build a temple like down to the embroideries.

It's kinda silly to me to believe the "reason we suddenly got better" was because "we started taking math and stuff seriously and shit"

Like what about fuckn Plato:? they were doing science methods back then..

Quote:
The Birth of Modern Science

It was in the 17th century that modern science was really born, and the world began to be examined more closely, using instruments such as the telescope, microscope, clock and barometer. It was also at this time that scientific laws started to be put forward for such phenomena as gravity and the way that the volume, pressure and temperature of a gas are related. In the 18th century much of basic biology and chemistry was developed as part of the Age of Enlightenment.

The 19th century saw some of the great names of science: people like the chemist John Dalton, who developed the atomic theory of matter, Michael Faraday and James Maxwell who both put forward theories concerning electricity and magnetism, and Charles Darwin, who proposed the (still) controversial theory of evolution. Each of these developments forced scientists radically to re-examine their views of the way in which the world worked.

The last century brought discoveries such as relativity and quantum mechanics, which, again, required scientists to look at things in a completely different way. It makes you wonder what the iconoclastic discoveries of this century will be.

The table below sets out the time-scale of some of the major events in Earth history and developments in science and technology. It shows something of the parallel development of human communication and of science and its technological applications, set in the context of Earth history as a whole. The years before present (BP) shown in this table are, of course, approximate, in that they merely imply 'about that long ago'. As far as the older times are concerned, clearly no scientist could prove that the Earth was formed exactly 4,600,000,000 years ago, or that the first human settlements were established 12,000 years ago.
Last edited by Jibartik; 12-19-2021 at 12:33 AM..