Thread: Vacant Zones
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbstractVision [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What are the classic ZEMs? What links do we have to prove them? They may just need to be brought up again by enough people.
I'm no ClassicQuester, but I believe the stock EQEmu ones (ie. the ones listed in the wiki) are those ZEMs.

As I understand it, back in the day people used the cheat program ShowEQ on live to determine the exact ZEM of every zone. The original EQ Emulator people had access to that data, and based the stock EQ Emulator ZEMs on them.

Because those ZEMs were widely known, and because on live ZEMs were only known by ShowEQ users (ie. relatively rare, fairly technical, cheaters), Nilbog changed them on P99 to restore mystery.

But with the hindsight of all these years of project decisions, that choice really feels out of sync with all the rest of the decisions that have been made.Almost universally they've all favored "the actual way classic was" over "re-creating a classic feel". See CH items, Midnight Mallets, obtaining OT Hammer via Puppet Strings ...

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.