Thread: TAK project.
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 09:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you mean scroll-wheeling wow controls on a sluggish client w infravision for all??
Those are mechanical decisions. The effects of infravision could be considered aesthetics, but the idea of giving that feature to all races, which they didn't do, would either be game mechanics or could be considered a conceptual decision. Also, "sluggish" is the last word I'd use to describe the TAKP client since it's much more lightweight and orders of magnitude faster than the Titanium client.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's possibly the greatest preservation project of a server that no longer exists. Definitely check it out.
It's interesting that we're now crossing into meta-emulation territory with TAKP, which is essentially an emulation of an emulated server, but I suppose you could just call it a reproduction of the EQMac server being that many of the same developers are involved. This also frees up the development staff to less rigorous standards - they can afford to sort of make things up as they go along since they were never promising the ultimate replication of classic esoterica that P99 offers. It seems like an exchange of information could be incredibly fruitful towards that end, though - I'm now imagining a joint server between the two projects offering the best of both worlds.

I'm definitely rooting for you in the resurrection of the Trilogy client, but I'm skeptical about integration - I'm going to guess that a ton of what P99 does is hinged tightly to the Titanium client, and even making a different era client available as an option would require a painstaking overhaul. It also makes me wonder what kind of CSR nightmares would arise in its wake. Perhaps that's a problem best left to the future staff of P99 Green, featuring the all-classic Trilogy client.