View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something'Witty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And you don't think those same people will play on Teams99? Or maybe you think that a teams ruleset will protect you from them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Something'Witty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bump, cause I really want someone to answer these questions...
Well, the predominant reason that the people acted the way they did on Red99 was because they had the means. Mage swords, guard assist, redwood wands, dragon pathing, and the resist system (this still being worked on, admittedly) all were huge problems with the game on day 1 that people took advantage of to destroy the server before it ever achieved lift off.

So... yes, a new Teams99 server, where most of those wrinkles have been ironed out, has a great shot at success. I imagine it will at least double red's population 6 months to 1 year down the road.

So to answer your questions directly: Firstly, yes, I think the same emuPvP griefing crowd will play Teams99, and about 4x more people will try it out, much like opening day on red. But the rule set will drive better retention rates. Secondly, I am not worried about being "protected" from griefers... I can deal with them well. But a teams makeup will prevent the low level griefing from becoming as rampant in certain geographic locales, thus encouraging population growth.

The whole point of my original OP was that the way the griefers fluorished was by exploiting semi-broken rules/mechanics and that resulted in a low population, rampant RMT, and one guild unpunished that recruited the server. End result: ghost town.

I knew Red99 was dead when I camped seafuries from 51-53 on my mage, and didn't get attacked by or see another player in the zone once!

Griefers will exist, but is that your argument? The world is not black and white, and I am not foolhardy enough to say that a Teams99 server will cure Red99's proverbial achilles heel (the players' attitudes). However if you cannot see how the Teams99 rules coupled with fixed server-destroying bugs/exploits will decrease the amount of griefing, especially at low levels, then I got nothing else for ya. Server will do well... probably not as well as blue, but I am guessing somewhere right between red/blue.

Things are looking up!