Thread: Best solo melee
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Deepwater Breastplate is a great item that not everyone will have. Probably most will settle for the still-nice Deepwater Helm.

Beyond that, I've played both classes at high level extensively and I feel the Shadow Knight solo's more capably between the two. Yes, the Paladin, once in a camp, can hold a few dungeon areas more easily. On the other hand the SK has a much easier time traveling around the world, much easier time getting INTO a camp, can go AFK more safely, and doesn't die as often. At high levels (52+ and especially 58+) the Shadow Knight can deal quite a lot more damage than the Paladin thanks to its pet. Higher damage doesn't just mean faster killing of experience monsters, it also means faster cash-farming of greens. Unlike the Paladin the SK has actual burst damage available in the form of its damage spells (and harm touch to a lesser extent) if it needs to kill something quicker. The Shadow Knight is the better overall solo package. There are some specific situations where the Paladin outperforms it, but on balance I enjoy my Shadow Knight much more when I'm online by myself.

Shadow Knight and Monk have a lot of overlap, with the Monk being more offense-focused. Since EQ usually favors offense that's the class I typically recommend to folks who have no particular preference between the two otherwise. The Shadow Knight is less gear dependent due to its spellbook, doesn't need to fuss with click items quite as much, doesn't need to limit its weight, and has an easier time in the tank role due to on-demand aggro (irrelevant when solo!). I like the Shadow Knight's convenience and consider that a fair trade for reduced kill rate. Min-max'ers look askance at notions such as "convenience" so the Monk is generally more popular; in addition the Monk benefits more from very high-end equipment (north Temple Veeshan stuff, etc) and a lot of players pick their character with visions of end-game in mind even if they'll never actually make it there. With regular-quality equipment I find the two classes about equivalent in overall power. Nonetheless, the Monk'll usually level faster if alone so that's the one I commonly recommend to players who ask.

I don't discuss Ranger much only because I have less experience with it, having never leveled one to very high levels. The animal restriction on its fear coupled with its lower armor rating and outdoor restriction on Harmony makes it a bit dreary during the middle levels. Dedicated Ranger players suggest the class can do quite well if a player sticks with it past that point.

Danth
Ranger is the easiest if you have access to good gear and sky cloak/epic. After 50 having 91% haste and 50%slow is pretty dumb. Plus chloro and fungi