View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 08:42 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoucLangur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
FIX for this Error Message:
  1. Open the file eqstr_us.txt with a text editor
  2. Insert the line for 8053 at the proper position.
    Code:
    8034 Usable
    8053 You have created something new.
    8500 Request Adventure
  3. Save the file
  4. Restart your EQ client
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benanov [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The 8053 String Not Found message is only for the success message, and doesn't affect combine chances. It is the success message. I think it used to be "You have combined these items to make something new."...

Kudos to you two for actual posting a solution rather than re-reporting a bug 15,000 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benanov [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just edit eqstr_us.txt with a non-insane text editor (Notepad does not count as non-insane; Notepad++ is fine.)
Oh, boy. I wish I paid attention to this warning. I opened with Notepad and hosed my client - ended up breaking every string in the game.

I then downloaded Visual Studio Code and discovered the file got converted from UTF-8 to UTF-8 with BOM. I have no idea what BOM is, but converting it back to standard UTF-8 encoding fixed the issue and now I have my strings back, including the crafting success string!