View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 09:46 AM
Orc

I've always enjoyed the grind in EQ when I played from 1999-2002. I wasn't a consistent player with my characters, as I must've created dozens over that period of time and never took one past level 47. Raiding and visiting the high-end zones was also something that I never took part of.

When I came back to EQ, I rolled a Halfling Cleric. I figured that Cleric's are always sought after and the class would ease me back into the game without an incredible amount of difficulty. After leveling my Cleric to 35, I needed a change. I fired up an Ogre Warrior, which I leveled to 13. Again, I wanted to try something else, so a Troll Shaman it was. With two months of playing time under my belt, I still hadn't visited Kunark, so I hopped onto the boat and enjoyed the experience (and a death), traversing to the Field of Bone and to Kurn's Tower.

It was there that I grouped with a similarly leveled Monk from ALS. We were a supreme duo and I was having a blast with just the two of us. As the evening went on, we talked about the game, our history with it, and I got a lot of tips on being a better player. He then began telling me about his guild and I immediately wanted to be a part of it. I wanted that classic, grinding experience, with a tight group of people. Unfortunately, my Shaman was a bit twinked with purchases from EC, and I would've had to suicide back to level 15 and start naked. I could've done this, but again, I love the grind, so I started a new Troll Shaman and joined ALS. Best. Decision. Ever.

I don't have any desire to play any of my non-ALS characters again. The inclusive economy, having to quest/grind for your own items, and keeping equipment in the guild is great. I was excited to play EQ again a couple of months ago, but am twice so now.

One of the little things that made me appreciate the experience was when a mummy thumped me into the ground. I couldn't hit him! I then remembered that there are mobs that only magic weapons can inflict physical damage. Being able to get a magic weapon in the tunnel so early made me completely forget about this game mechanic. I may not find myself a magic weapon until the 20's, either by drop, quest, or dropping the 50+p on a Combine, but that's fine!

Anyway, if this playing style appeals to you, check us out. I'm having the best time with the game since its release. And to quote the great Neil Peart, "The point of a journey is not to arrive."