View Single Post
Old 11-29-2023, 09:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Spamming taunt also provides the 8.33% bonus to taunt successfully, so it provides more value than just 10 hate/minute. I am not sure why people keep omitting that.
I won't speak for anyone else, but I gloss over it because as far as I can tell the quoted part only appllies to situations where the tank is being rather lazy and doesn't care much if something flips once in awhile. In more normal gameplay where you're holding aggro fulltime, the odds of the spammed taunt doing anything more than adding the +1, is essentially zero per cent. Maybe that's why I'm less hostile towards you, here, than some other posters: I'm not interpreting this type of taunt usage as something to do when you're acting as tank for content like chardok queen (which I've done, so between Snaggles and I, I guess that means we've done it all), but for when you're doing second-tier content you don't care about and putting in only cursory effort. You have to be losing aggro *a lot* for that ~8% chance to apply, which would normally be defined as poor gameplay for a knight, except where we're already aknowledging that it's more like lazymode.

For things like saving taunt for charm flips, taunt's more like a mana-saver for the knight than a life-saver for the enchanter. If your enchanter needs your taunt to work to save his bacon, he's already as good as dead, given taunt's failure rate. In practice you're using other spells too, and a taunt success means you don't need to cast as many to build a threat lead.

It all goes back to my first comment I made: In practice in a solo tank setting on a paladin/shadowknight you can get away with using taunt however you want because it's not that important a skill to begin with. Use it carefully, use it with wild abandon, use it for goofing off, take it off the bar, won't matter in the end.