View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 10:18 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Reverse Kiting.

You basically pull with darkness and dot the mob up as much as possible, then you run away. The mob will chase you. Your pet will follow the mob and do damage from behind (taunt /off). Stop every once in a while to recast the dot once the mob comes in range. If a mob doesn't summon, you can always kill it like that, even dragons. It works best with J-Boots of course.
That's just normal DOT kiting. No "reverse" needed.

Reasons Fear Kiting is better:
  • You're medding, not running. Less time between fights and fewer chances for a missed keypress / lag spike / unexpected add to screw you.
  • When fear breaks, you're medding and have time to react / recast fear. I can get two fears in before Engulfing Darkness ends. Less useful for SHD, who is doing the whole chase thing and so when fear breaks they get smacked a few times, but they can take it.
  • Pet can keep taunting. The mob probably won't turn on your pet when fear breaks, but it's always nice when it does.
  • DoTs were nerfed to only do 66% damage when the mob is running at its target, (thanks, Druids). Standing and fighting or running scared, they do full damage.
  • Those full damage DoTs are going to be useful in beating your pet for 50% of the damage. In a group of any size this doesn't matter, let Jobober do most of the work.
  • Much less room required.
  • Necros don't get a lot of efficient nukes, and to my understanding no targeted AE spells / rains. (SHD get 2 AE spells. One doesn't do any damage.)
  • Fear kiting requires Snare and Fear. NEC and SHD get both. Other classes have to split duties or choose their quarry more carefully (animals, undead, etc.)

I will accept that when things go pear-shaped, old-fashioned kite-flying is not a bad idea, but it is so much less efficient and effective for necromancers.
Last edited by Benanov; 08-22-2019 at 10:21 AM..