View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a volunteer staff working on their hobby. It's an an old game originally created with spaghetti code. Don't hold your breath for technical resolutions to in game problems!
This, plus THE ENTIRE POINT of Project 1999 is to re-create classic EverQuest. Historically the extent of the staff's willingness to add non-classic rules has been things like FTE messages (which literally do nothing other than announce who hit the mob first) and the 25 mob AoE limit (which was more or less a technical limitation for the majority of EQ players in 1999 anyway).

My point being, entirely new changes to the game (like account-lore items) are an anathema to the entire project because by definition they're not classic. The only thing I could see (and one staff member mentioned this, but I think they may have been joking) is eliminating items like mana stones from the beginning. One could justify that as "classic" because even the classic developers took them out, and presumably would have done so at launch had they known what problems those items would cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure any changes are needed. I don't feel like there has to be a solution that creates an outcome where everyone can get a manastone or a guise. I'd like to see a solution that somehow enrages and punishes whatever neckbeard tries to collect all the manastones like they are M&Ms, but that's only because I'd find it really entertaining to watch on the rants and flames board.
I don't see it as a binary issue, ie. it's not like the only two options are "allow losers to hold a camp for months at a time" or the Oprah option ("you get a manastone, and you get a manastone, and you ...."). As has already been mentioned, simply enforcing the classic/live Play Nice Policy would prevent both those outcomes, and instead force people to "wait in line" for manastones the same way they wait in line for the OOT Ancient Cyclops now.

Now could a neckbeard with no job or life wait in line longer, and thus have a much better chance of getting a manastone? Absolutely. Classic EQ will always reward people who are willing to invest more of their time. But giving the person who spends more time a proportionally higher chance of getting an item is completely different from letting the person with the absolute most time monopolize the item and prevent anyone else from getting it.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 12-16-2017 at 05:43 PM..