View Single Post
Old 11-23-2022, 06:15 PM
Banned

Totally agree with OP. I understand why the devs split it, and I have nothing but respect for the people that make this entire thing happen. But I always felt like the issue would naturally work itself out. The first few days are obviously going to be chaotic and overcrowded no matter what, and there's no way to really emulate the actual launch of everquest as it was in 1999. But people naturally level at different rates, or simply aren't willing to log in on literal day 1 because of the crazy congestion in newbie areas, so the population quickly stratifies within the first week. The whole "people camping individual spawns in everfrost" thing only happened for maybe.. 2 days? 3 at most?

I also started green on day 1 decided not to switch over to teal. Again I think the devs were just trying to make people happy I don't fault them at all, but then when the servers merged back together there was a lot of unnecessary animosity created between who was on teal and who was on green. The teal tribe felt like they were being "forced" into green, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Both populations were merged, the resulting server was just named "Green". Had it been named "Teal" instead, the green people would have been up in arms about being "forced into teal".

I think it makes sense to not split, unless there's like a serious hardware limitation where people can't log in at all, or there's some other backend issue that requires a split.