Thread: Group Exp Bonus
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I too find that groups are a waste of time: a solo class that knows how to solo will get faster XP than all but the best groups (and I play a Mage: hardly the best solo class at high levels).

But what I'm not so sure of is ... is that unclassic? On live, soloing could be fast also, and classes that could do it well (with the knowledge/EQ engine of the time, ie. mainly Druids/Necros) were largely soloing instead of grouping.

There might be some miscalculation there, some argument for tweaking the numbers a bit still, but even after such adjustments (if this game is going to be classic) it will always be faster XP for some classes to solo than group (again, excluding really good groups),

If anything is unclassic, I think it's how safe/easy it is to solo here. On live you had more deaths from technical issues, it was harder to find a rez after you died, and even just getting back to your body was a hell of a lot harder without Dial A Port.

So maybe you could argue the XP bonus should err on the side of groups a little to balance the above, but ultimately too much group XP bonus would make things unclassic.
I think players don't realize how many people were soloing on live back in the day. Especially if you played a group focused character. Wizards, Druids, Necros, Enchanters all soloing. Shamans of course as well (although I don't remember people really understanding how top tier Shamans could be when twinked out until later). You're right it was much harder to find a rez and laggy internet/computers made it much more dangerous (especially if you were doing things like quad kiting or charm killing).

Definitely would love to see a bit more of a group XP bonus. Not to the extent that it becomes significantly better than soloing, but making them close to each other in efficiency would be nice as it gets pretty boring soloing.