View Single Post
Old 09-20-2022, 10:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I asked for some feedback and real life experiences from raid warriors who had FR and some good raid 1 handers. I know the napkin math. I want the anecdotes at this point.
While all decent in a theoretical vacuum, realistically the most important part of tanking any encounter is generating as much threat as possible, with the most critical time being on the pull / first 30 seconds (especially on slowable mobs). Do you really want to run the risk of that slow 2 hander stringing together a bunch of shitty ass misses at the start of a fight?

The quicker you can get that first and second snap procs and some near guaranteed solid white damage, the sooner you get that tash in for slows and/or allow the rogues to start DPSing.

Its the rogues fault if they over dps and rip aggro. Sure, an enchanter can have a TL box up and tash-bomb on a pull...sometimes that is missed though.

Even on long, non-slowable mobs like AoW: I have never seen a war swap to a 2 hander or sword n board after their disc fades...but most of the time I was clenching my ass ready for my trooper (or korakaz / bvellos) pet to break so I could be wrong here.

Is Frostreaver so far behind that you'd be completely useless as tank if you didn't have your red blade + something godly? No, but if you're in vanq or riot you may be laughed at a little til you get a real tanking setup. There's a reason the best wars on the server aren't using it. I think as soon as you have 2 of the top choices (red blade, trident, willsapper, feverblade, shissar, etc) Dain's prized possession gets tucked away forever.

If you want to make big crip blow numbers via zerk dps you get Vulak, Eashen, or Vyemm 2 hander (primal avatar proc luxury here too).

Sidenote: in single group content Frostreaver is a lovely blend of aggro and big dick crippling blows.
Last edited by Toxigen; 09-20-2022 at 11:05 AM..