View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Fire Giant

No, I don't mean buff bots for RvR. For anyone who ever played live, the reasons are obvious. Mythic even eventually put in "classic" servers that were basicly normal servers sans ToA and concentration buffs had a hard coded range. By and large solved the problems caused by them.

I, also, played at release and played for years after through every expansion era. Even went back a couple of years ago. I wouldn't be opposed to resubbing again now as the pops weren't that bad, but there are things they put in that made it really annoying in other ways. There was good crafted gear at release, just no spellcrafting.

What I'm talking about is multi boxing for PvE. The PvE is arguably as not fun as the RvR is fun. While I'm sure somebody will disagree, for most people, you pretty much endure the mind numbing exp grind just to get to the BGs and RvR. The problem is. It's eternally the same fight over and over. Compounded with the fact that some classes, assassins in particular, while fantastic RvR classes, really don't bring much to a group. It's like playing a ranger in classic EQ but on acid...Actually I have a p99 ranger I solo with and it's more fun on a bad day than trying to go at levelling up an assassin in daoc.....slower and it doesn't matter where you go, it's the same fight over and over and over. No sow and BAF so you die more. Rezes are harder to find, limited to your dirt nap timer and aren't as effective. No bueno. Solo levelling in that game is boring and kick-a-hole-in-a-wall frustrating, if you can even solo at all.

I played an infiltrator at the beginning with my friends and during other eras. While your points are correct, in a real practical sense the other infi, scout, and I were being carried by our visible friends in our 8 man group. Yes we could poison and dps, but when you always get multiple mobs every pull because of BAF and stealther strengths being front loaded, pull in and pull out we were pretty much dead weight. An 8 msn group with A stealther isn't bad. More than that, much less 3 or 4, and you have half a group working like lemmings carrying the other half, also working like lemmings trying to contribute something.

In the long scope of the game, it became pretty apparent that the only real way to level up stealthers was to level a necro, cabby or even a paladin first then just PL the stealther, unfortunately. Something that was always allowed live, classic era and beyond.

So yeah, I'm absolutely in favor of not allowing buff bots in RvR. But boxing for pve is a different thing entirely. You don't have the group game in daoc you do in EQ and nobody wants stealthers in groups anyway. Honestly, as much fun as the game is, it's not really worth enduring the solo grind with a lot of classes, sadly, and the levelling mechanic that made PLing possible +boxing was about the only thing that evened it out.

But I'm sure I'll check it out. I play a mean daoc cleric, too so maybe I'll try to ride the wave and level one up when it comes back. Bard, too. I couldn't play any of those classes on uthgard before because when I played there just weren't groups at low levels and once you get into any kind of support spec, party's over with soloing around level 12. If they don't allow pve boxing I really don't see how that situation won't happen again.

What would really be awesome would be an emu like the live classic servers. All expansions minus ToA and buff bots but with epics, epic armor, housing, the catacombs content with the good mid level gear and BGs for all levels that give exp. DAoC at its finest, imo. Because you get all the fun parts with some actual variety as opposed to bleeding out the eyeballs in mundane content just to get to the BGs and RvR.
Last edited by Weekapaug; 03-03-2014 at 06:40 PM..