View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 05:21 PM
Fire Giant

lvl 53 halfling druid and lvl 19 half-elf druid here.

halfling sneak is a joke. if you ever use it it is only as a gimmick. not because sneak is useless, but because sneak (50) is very unreliable, and the only thing you're gonna do with such an reliable skill is to bank/vendor at places you wouldn't otherwise. and druids can teleport anytime from anywhere to rivervale in 15 seconds. please tell me a relevent scenario for sneak.

halfling 5%xp is also a joke. EQ is about the journey. The more you group the less actual 5% that 5% is, and even in solo, it means you gain say 10 levels in 19 hours instead of 20 hours. big effin' deal.

hide is actually "cool" - a bit like sneak, it's just a gimmick, but at least you can use it to perma-afk med in one spot while going to the bathroom or washing the dishes or something, without having to port or go somewhere safe. you can also break charm with it if you don't have the goblin ring and are willing to try 10 attempts of hide to success (once again, 50 is low).

lastly for the halflings, they are small. which would be nice in theory, i like small races, mroe visibility, you can enter the hole without help etc. however druids get wolf form, so moot again.

as for the clicky root, well i have never used it myself. however... i know as a 53 druid that grasping root is the root you keep using all the time always. basically going up in level you keep two roots on your spellbook, the latest one in case you need longer roots (more damage), usually in groups where you have to ghetto CC, or solo root rotting sometimes... and then your grasping root, because it has a faster casting time and low mana cost. the length of the root is irrelevent. i mean, as long as it let's you go away, or cast another spell, or whatever you have to do. the only important thing is to root the mob, and for this you need to be able to cast it even when oom (35 mana is one tick even if completely oom) and you need the fastest casting time you can get! and for this Grasping Root hardcast is king (until level 56 iirc), and honestly that part is much more important than the 35 mana! Long story short, a 4 second CT Grasping Roots sounds like garbage to me. The "free" spell slot is nice, i guess, but i wouldn't want my roots to take 4sec to cast ouch no thank you o_o ... root is one spell you cast A LOT, and many times when you (or groupmate) are in deep sh!t, and you need it to work, and cast it thrice in a row cause it gets resisted or breaks etc. fast root is your lifeline. don't compromise on cast time.

so back on topic...

wisdom will be capped at some point (and by "capped" i mean somewhere above 200 and by at some point i mean at lvl 45+) whatever race you play and that doesn't make that much of a difference tbh. Anyone who played a druid a bit knows that we are ALWAYS low on mana. we have nothing to keep our mana up until PotG at level 60, and we are always casting spells, like non stop all the time. even when medding up we're somehow refreshing buffs, casting SoW on travelers, Teleporting, killing that green mob on track just cause sometimes it drops X, etc. a full mana druid is a liar or a bad druid ^^ and as we all know by now, high wisdom only means more total mana, which is only relevent when you're FM and you go down to OOM. So obviously relevent, and it's probably your primary statistic don't get me wrong, but in all reality that happens basically never. you will be somewhere between 80m and 5m 95% of your time on the server. Chill down with the WISDOM.

i think your only choice for a druid race is to go fashionquest. that's really the only thing.

Sheer look is subjective, anyway druids look like naked hobos for most of their lives until raid gear and level 56+, but i would personnaly rank them like this;
Human > Wood Elf > Half Elf > Halfling
My halfling druid is the ugliest toon i have ever played, on any game, any concept, any era, any format, any genre. There is nothing uglier in this universe than a ugly naked halfling druid. honestly. biggest regret in my EQ carreer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

then in terms of objective stat, we have originality, and that would probably go like this;
Half-Elf (Male) >*Half-Elf (Female) >*Human (Male) > Human (Female) > Wood Elf (Male) > Halfling (Female) >*Wood Elf (Female) > Halfling (Male)
Halflings and Wood Elves are everywhere, it is the two most played race/class combination on the server by a big margin. you will be one lost soul in a huge ocean of 100% lookalike copycats (remember the 'naked hobo' part).

Humans are blind as mole. That is probably a real flaw. It gets quite dark on human view.

TL;DR
For me the clear winner is Half-Elf. Half-Elf Druid FTW. Go for Half-Elf @OP.