View Single Post
Old 08-05-2021, 06:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
See you keep saying "facts" but the truth is you really don't know for sure either. Unless you are literally the one doing all the fact checking the information you are receiving and believing could be wrong. Science is always evolving and changing as new info and facts are presented. That's not to say there aren't facts there, it's possible, but to deny the possibility of it being wrong or inaccurate is a different form of faith not entirely different from my own. That's why I think pushing views or beliefs, no matter how validated or right you feel you are, is wrong. That's the only REAL TRUTH.
Thought experiment time: do you believe in cancer? Have you studied it? Do you understand how mutations in DNA develop, or how those mutations result in tumors, or what hereditary factors cause one person to have a greater chance of getting it? And regardless ... do you need to know any of that to believe in it?

Ok, now same question for trichotillomania (a random rare disease I pulled out of my hat that you probably haven't heard of; it makes people pull their hair out): do you believe in it? Even though you (probably) have never had it? You've probably never even have known someone who did. so from your perspective it must just seem like something doctors have "made up"; believing it exists is an article of faith (faith in our medical experts).

Now, same question about electricity: do you understand how a capacitor works? What the difference between voltage or amperage is? And regardless ... do you still believe in electricity even if you don't know those things? You don't question how the computer you are using keeps functioning right? What about roads: how much do you know about asphalt, and the impacts of weather on granite, and so on ... but does any of that stop you from believing in roads?

What I'm getting at is that we can't all be pavers AND electricians AND doctors AND oncologists (cancer doctors) AND ... we all have to "take it on faith" that something other humans with expertise are telling us is true. Right?

So why then take this particular thing, and decide that for it and it alone you're not going to do what you do for everything else ... the same thing you do every day, a million times a day: trust and believe that others with more expertise are correct?

I submit that your decision to put Covid to a different standard than cancer, electricity and roads is an article of faith. You have decided a different criteria (don't trust the experts) for it than anything else. Just like you presumably do for Jesus: again, I suspect you standard of belief in him isn't "I have to see it for myself"; you take it on faith right? But if I was like "there's a ghost following you around" you'd go back to your normal standard, and demand to see proof, right?

Again I'm not trying to argue with you about your faith ... I'm just explaining that we're like a Jew and a Christian, and neither will convert the other. I will always be interested in conversations about logic and reason and evidence, but I will never share your faith.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 08-05-2021 at 06:27 PM..