Thread: Outward
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2019, 07:25 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I played this game on PS4 when it first came out. I did one play through solo and 1 play through split screen with a friend which was one of the selling point of the game for me.

The game does have a little of that early EQ feel in that it doesnt hold your hand or make anything easy. You get an overall map for the zone you are in but it doesnt tell you where you are. You have to determine that by your surroundings. Quests dont show you where you need to go, have to base it on info characters tell you. There is no fast travel or horses so you do a lot of running around, but get a set of run speed gear and its not too bad.

The combat is a little like Dark Souls/Bloodborn but not quite as refined. It is fairly difficult at first but once you get the hang of it an learn what certain mobs do, its not too bad.

Death scenarios are random and you can respawn back at at town, in some random cave across the zone, right near where you died, saved by a random traveler or even end up in jail.

The food/drink and climate aspect of the game plays an important role and its something you have to constantly keep up with either through clothing or potions/food.

The graphics arent spectacular compared to most AAA games now days but I am used to EQ, so it didnt bother me. There were a good amount of bugs back when I played but they were doing patches every so often. The story was decent but the production value of automated story/cutscene type of things were bland.

Overall I enjoyed it very much, especially for the original new price of $40. I think on PC they did some additions with new bosses and equipment, maybe even an expansion already, but not sure.

For a game made by 9 guys, I got my moneys worth and hope they make a 2nd.