View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Back when the Republican party was founded -- anti-slavery was the main unifying principal that united them. Lincoln won on a platform of ending the expansion of slavery, and then relocating black people "back to Africa."

Lincoln was convinced black people would never be treated fairly here -- so it would be best for them and whites. His black friend Douglass, talked him out of it. He was the only intelligent free black guy he ran it by and his disapproval was big to him.

They didn't want black people here for the same reason people don't want Mexican immigrants today -- they were viewed as lowering wages for white people and taking jobs.

At least that's the populist anti-slavery position. The elite anti-slavery position was about how wrong it was to treat black humans that way. It was well off whites from the northeast and a few elite black allies that made the core of this coalition.

Basically, the Republicans used to be partially a socially liberal party, and partly a socially conservative party. That changed when the post-Johnson realignment happened. The Republican party basically flipped to be socially conservative to get whites in the south. And its a big part of how their party works ever since.

The democrat plantation argument I think is just a false narrative. Slavery comes from the South. Democrats were supportive of slavery because they were a southern based party.

Now the south is with the Republicans. And they are trying to pawn off the history of slavery on the modern northeastern democrats. Its deeply misleading.
The Democrat plantation is a form of slavery. Obviously it’s not real slavery, not even close, but there are lots of dysfunctional elements

Democrats coddle black people for their vote. And when I say coddle I mean ignore, suppress, or apologize for all the dysfunctional things going on within the black communities. Republicans sometimes overly-criticize, democrats coddle. I can’t really say that Democrats taking a “blame others, avoid personal responsibility for your situation” is completely unique to their approach with black folks. They do it with everyone. It’s effective

It’s much tougher to accept that you are your problem. That your parents are your problem. That your community is your problem. Obviously there are other outside factors but big biiiig inside factors as well

And once you start adopting the personal responsibility approach, the stop blaming white people for all your problems approach, you are off the plantation and working for the white supremacists keeping you down

You can (and I expect you to) disagree, but just showing that’s the conservative perspective on the “plantation”