View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 09:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I completely appreciate their self-less nature within the dynamic of a group and I am occasionally in awe of their soloing capabilities <if you don't mind wearing out several keyboards with all the work that soloing involves>.

hmm swarm kiting? Or charm kiting.... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

wow I am halfway through this thread and Im pretty sure this guy was talking about fear kiting, these people sucked at EQ back then yowzers not a single mention to aoe spells at all yet.

This guy talking about lag being a problem for bards because they drop out of the sky and become uninvisible, and we think they swarm kited? lol idk bout that stuff the more I read about this stuff:

"I did not stop when a drop of lag turned me visable and got me killed time after time.
I did not stop when when I lagged and fell for 10k hps when bard lev poofed. "
I mean yeah, many of us have tried to explain this to P99'ers for a while. Bard was simply not the turbo charged xp class back then. Latency, hardware, disconnects, basic video lag...swarming was unheard of in my experience. The first time I ever remember seeing a bard do it was during Planes of Power.

In my experience bards were strictly a support character, play mana song for casters being the number one request, and also support songs for the melee during fights. Their charms and mezzes were regarded as nearly worthless compared to an enchanter.

Speaking of charms, the amount of enchanter charming seen here was far from the norm back then as I remember too, for many of the same reasons, walking the razor's edge was a death sentence when lag spikes and random disconnects were so common. People were more risk averse and took the path of least resistance, no one wanted to risk xp to test the envelope of what was possible. Not to mention gearing being so trivial here.

Chanters were mostly considered a group class who buffed, slowed, and CC'ed to support groups. There's a reason war/cleric/chanter was known as the "holy trinity" for xp grouping, rather than chanter being considered the premier soloist.

I'm sure there are outlier cases of people trying outside the box tactics, or servers where the perceptions may have been different, but that's the early EQ I remember playing.
Last edited by Fammaden; 09-22-2019 at 09:30 PM..