Thread: Min/Max
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It boggles my mind that people don't understand this.

Let's say you pump 6 starting points into STA instead of WIS because you think, "I can just wear a +6 WIS ring and have the same amount of mana, plus more HP from the extra Stamina."

Sure. You'll end up with like 18 extra HP at level 60. Meanwhile, I'll be wearing my Djarn's ring that gives me +80 HP.

It's about trade offs and opportunity cost. You ALWAYS come out ahead pumping your primary stat at creation, because then you have more flexibility to wear very nice pieces of gear that DON'T have your primary stat (mostly HP and resist gear, few of which pieces also have great primary stats until deep into Velious).

People thinking they are somehow figuring out a new primary stat meta this deep into the game are deluding themselves. It's a primary stat for a reason. Stop overthinking it and shooting yourself in the foot in the process.
I mostly agree with the sentiment here, and for Shaman Stamina vs. Wisdom is probably a wash, because we have lots of gear that gives both. However, I'm not sure what that you wrote is true across the board. For instance, I've often heard that Charisma can be harder to get with gear, so it actually does make sense to put stat points into Charisma, so that later you can acquire the (easier) Int/Wis gear instead of the (harder) Charisma gear.

Again, not relevant for Shaman, but I'm just not sure it's always true that everyone should put their stat points into the primary stat.

P.S. Also, everyone always goes into these discussions thinking about BiS gear, but personally I think that's idiotic. Statistically the odds that any newbie asking for this kind of advice is even going to make it to "AA-level raiding" ... let alone is going to do it long enough to get a suit of BiS gear ... I mean it's like a hundred times more likely that they'll quit before they ever even hit soft maxs. And then conversely, ask anyone in a BiS suit who "misspent" their stat points (half a decade ago) if they even really care, and I'd bet the vast majority say no (the newbie with <100 Wisdom reading the forum probably cares more than they do).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-24-2020 at 02:56 PM..