Thread: Game Mechanics: Classic bugs with charm
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 01:58 PM
Planar Protector

I remember a lot of bugs with charm, not many of these mentioned though. The ones i remember the most were ones I listed previously:

"1. Sometimes when you were charmed, and then became uncharmed, you would lose the ability to cast any spells. You would have to camp out completely and relog in to restore your ability.

2.Sometimes the "charming" MOB's pet would still be able to attack you while you were charmed and you'd just watch as you were whittled down to zero health by their pet while under charm.

3. This was a doozy. If a player was charmed, the charming NPc would then target the nearest player in a GIGANTIC radius and aggro them. Like a huge radius, like from the rathe mountains gypsy to the lake zone in-- where I first discovered this "bug". Not only would they target players from far away but they would attack players they should not even by aggressive to. Like the gypsy in rathe mountains isn't KOs to anyone but if you got charmed she would still attack the nearest player to her."

There was also a very short time frame where being charmed changed you into an NPC. This meant I could safely charm my level 50 buddy and he could quad for like 150 or whatever crazy number it was. And when he broke, no aggro to deal with.

You could also charm pets. And if you charmed a players pet, they would recast a new one. When the charm would break the previously charmed pet would 32k itself( so again no chance of aggro . For those who don't know, early on pets didn't just vanish when they killed themselves they would hit themselves for 32k) . Sometimes mobs would also 32k themselves for various reasons, often because their pathing had bugged out and they became stuck somewhere and couldn't find a path "home". Charming an enchanters pet would enable them to be commanded, too. Summoned pets would also 32k themselves if their owners moved too far away from them.

I remember a lot of people saying they lost their offhhand and thrown slot items when charmed, even if they were not throwable weapons. Never happened to me, but lots of people claimed it happened to them. Some would even unequip their thrown/offhand slots if they were fighting anywhere they could possibly get charmed... and given both shaman and necros charmed back then, it was amuch more common threat than you'd think. Even worse, the NPC s who could charm did not have to obey the level restrictions of the spell.

They cleaned up/changed/fixed a lot of the bugs related to charm around the time RZ launched. I was waiting to abuse the shit out of them on RZ, but totally scrapped my plan and rolled up an SK instead.