View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 08:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
By failed miserably I mean I’ve not found a crew that felt like a good fit for me. When I was younger I was interested in making friends and getting to know different people from all around the globe and tbh it was a key reason EQ hooked me. Now that I’m older I’ll freely admit I’m not really interested in getting to know anyone or making friends....and it clearly shows lol! So when I join a guild I’m thrown into a social setting I don’t really care to be involved in outside of the ability to raid and then it kinda feels like going to a party or social gathering IRL where you feel so out of place, uncomfortable and awkward you just show yourself to the door.

Since 2013 I’ve applied and played trial member with 6 or 7 guilds and ended up leaving on my own after a few weeks or maybe a month max. After typing this all out I think I actually strongly dislike the raid aspect of eq, and that’s why I’ve neglected to do it all these years. With my interest in Everquest and gaming in general waning I feel like this year is probably my last shot to try and experience these encounters and I’m trying to get creative to see if I can get it to happen.
I keep hearing "make friends", and it makes me think you have misaligned expectations. I see guilds as more like an after work sports team: yes you have to be able to tolerate the people on your team, but aside from that you don't have to be friends or even see them off the field. As long as you can tolerate them, you can still get the exercise and enjoyment of getting to play a sport one night a week.

And who knows, maybe a few specific people on that team will actually be someone you click with? But if so that's just a bonus.

Perhaps if you had more of that kind of mindset you might be able to enjoy guilds/raiding better?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-26-2020 at 08:41 PM..