View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm only new, not in a big guild (heck I mostly solo and haven't even gotten out of level 20 diapers yet!) and while I did play back in 1999 (on firiona vie and sullon zek) I never got in with the major theorycrafters so I guess my opinion might not hold much weight here....

But I always thought of it this way.

Why not make the appearance of heavy hitting raid mobs be a challenge rather than a timed surety?

Now this is from someone who has mostly played on RP servers, so perhaps I'm a bit biased; but I've always thought it would be amazing if raid fights were the result of a series of co-operative events.

For example: To cause venril sathir to appear you would have to 'gather the shards of his phylactery' which could gained by extremely difficult quests in which you have to 1) kill regularly spawning 'uber mobs' that might take something like two groups of level 60 folks to kill 2) gather fragments through foraging (requires something like 20) then have them put together by a special forging process which requires a particular item that only blacksmiths can create and combine 3) cook 20 of a special recipe that had varied ingredients and which would only be sold (and cookable) by a master chef, then given to a quest NPC who would trade you the food items for the phylactery shard (which he had been using as an earring or something)..etc etc... Finally all the shards having to be brought together by a master jewelcrafter with a combine that they would have a 1% chance of actually failing. then giving the finished phylactery to a summoner NPC or something

You get where I'm going here. Something that would involve everyone, allow everyone an opportunity to fight the fella, make it DIFFICULT but not IMPOSSIBLE for small and casual guilds to fight someone like VS while still allowing HUGE guilds to fight the guy without FARMING him. Eliminates poopsocking because all of the parts dont have major respawn timers, and even the megamobs needed for individual parts wouldn't drop ANYTHING but a few copper and the piece. (which is lore etc)

Mind you: the guild could FAIL to defeat the enemy, in which case the rules of courtesy would apply about other guilds not sniping their summon, plus he'd be on a 24 hour despawn timer.

Other than having to code a few npcs and come up with a bit of lore, I don't see why this would be a bad thing? I know it's not 'pure classic' but 'pure classic' had huge problems, why not fix with verant/soe couldn't be arsed to fix in the first place?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiSNkIaJi_U&t=3s