View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 11:38 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirrund [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been in three groups with a bard. Each of the three times, the bard played heal song, or just Selo's, and stood off to the side, while the third bard pulled but still only played Selo's or Hymn.

The first two bards I requested they should be playing Hymn, Self Haste, Party Haste, and Chords if they want to add some damage. One bard only did it after i asked three times, and then still wouldn't melee (they weren't using a lute, either). The second bard never did it at all, but did start meleeing while playing just one song. The third bard who was pulling said "No I can't" but because they were pulling I just let it go. In all cases, I just gave up trying to get them to play more songs (and offered to explain it to them if they wished, I am always willing to be helpful)

This was pre 20. It is no wonder when people think bards are garbage in a group, when they are amazing and can do pretty much everything. Too bad there are just more lazy bards than not.
When I am in a group with more than one bard, I talk with the bard about what each is singing, so we aren't wasting song space. As for your first two examples, if the bard isn't twisting at all (unless there's a really good reason not to), then suggesting they twist isn't a bad idea. (If I go have to go AFK, I announce it and what I am singing). If the best option is to not melee, then I will use instruments, and if needed, swap them.

I also check with other casters as to what they are doing. If the chanter has already given a haste buff, they don't need my haste song. If the shaman or chanter are slowing, or the ranger or druid are snaring, they don't need my slow snare song. But I'll often sing it in case the other spells don't land, or the other players miss their cues, or to generate hate if I need to off tank a bit.

However, I understand the third bard. If I am pulling, I want to concentrate on pulling, which means leaving before the mob is dead, and I won't be around enough to play the support role that bard songs normally play.

(Or, dang it, you're a bard. Tell demanding leaders you know how to play your class, appreciate their suggestions, tell them they are tone deaf and have no rhythm, or go somewhere outdoors and solo.)
Last edited by lowner411; 12-09-2019 at 11:40 AM..