View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 05:57 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Druids: To roleplay or not to roleplay?

Greetings fellow Druids (and fellow p99er's). I wanted to put a thread out regarding role playing; in my case specifically for Druids. Lately, and for the foreseeable future, the amount of in-game time available to me is diminishing rapidly due to the responsibilities of real life. The effect of this has been to play games that have a deep meaning or provide unique experiences to me. I think for many, myself included, EQ was both of those things during its early years on live. Back then when I played most of my time was just experiencing all the game had to offer, with little attention to how a real character (in game) would behave in the game world. Being older now, I find the latter to be my primary reason for playing. Therefore, I am reaching out to you all in order to get an idea of how to allow myself to RP as a druid. As an example, a druid who follows either Tunare or Karana would respect life, animals, growth, storms, not pollute, etc in game. I am more interested in the follow:

1: Which server lends itself better to RP?
-On the one hand red is less populated, so less people to break immersion, and the idea of any PC or NPC being predator or prey is appealing, but I have never played on Red and not sure how that community would react to someone RPing. On the flip side, Blue is "safer" from a PVP standpoint, but are there any RP guides or groups who regularly meet?

2: How can I still enjoy buffing passer-bys without breaking immersion.
-Helping other people out was some of the best parts of a Druid back on live, not sure how I can do that given my playstyle. If I have to sacrifice this on my Druid, so be it; just don't want to come off like a jerk in game either.

3: Any other hints or ideas?
-I'm open to suggestions. In terms of my ideas, I plan on minimal use of charm kiting (yes, I know its the fastest, yes, it is fun) as I can't really head-canon a druid making two animals fight just for loot/exp/ect or even using one animal to put itself in danger just to kill a mob. Mostly I'll be soloing due to trying to RP, so I don't mind root rotting/quad kiting; but it would be against non-animals. Basically just ideas on how and what a druid would hunt given the above. I'm not really concerned with raiding, gear, and so on. I have other characters for those kinds of things.

Thanks in advance everyone, looking forward to some discussion on this.